Thursday, September 22, 2005

Rita Approaches

In the past 12 hours I've learned more about hurricanes than I'd like to admit. I've learned that hot air fuels these storms of doom, that when they hit land they sometimes split into several deadly tornadoes, and most shockingly, Rita, is the third most powerful storm ever recorded in the Atlantic Ocean.

Houston, stands in Hurricane Rita's patch of destruction. The country hasn't seen a hurricane hit land as a category 5 since Andrew in 1992. At at wind speeds of 175mph, Rita appears more dangerous than anything the Texas or Louisiana coast has ever seen --even more potent than Galveston's storm in 1900 (155 mph) or NOLA's heartbreaker (Katrina, which was only a cat 4 at landfall) from merely three weeks ago.

I'm scared shitless.

My parents, residing in my boyhood home, have stubbornly, yet confidently decided they're going to stay put (for now at least). My dad has assured me that he'll make the most prudent decisions about their safety --a statement which I have complete faith in. And it looks as if they'll be following city recommendations on what to do. I'm just horrified that if that recommendation comes too late, it might be too late to leave.

The decision to leave is a tough one anyways. I mean, where would they go anyways? They can't board a plane to come here since I'm pretty sure all flights are booked. They don't really have anyone to stay with in Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio. And, even if they did who's to say that those cities aren't along Rita's path also? It's just too early to tell.

Also, all hotels in most of the state appear to be booked up. Friends have informed me that traffic is moving at a rate of 3.3 miles per hour. What if they run out of gas? It's not like you can pull over and fill up --gas stations are tapped out.

I can't even call them as I keep getting "All circuits are busy messages". I have to leave text msgs for them to call me back.

And worst of all I can't do anything about it as I'm in fucking California.

All I can do is pray for their safety...